Thursday 6 January 2011

consumerist rubbish



I am seriously considering a years worth of not shopping in any superstores or shops owned as chains. Possibly franchises but at a push. I wonder if this is a possibility or am I being foolish to believe that it would make me feel better about my consumerist behaviour?

I have always had a serious problem with Tesco's, Primark, etc. If I could buy (only with my money not bought by someone else) my food from local markets, butchers and grocers, would I feel better?

But what about clothes and cosmetics? Clothes aren't too difficult as there are many boutique stores but cosmetics may be a problem. Body Shop is a chain, however they work hard to make products as fair trade as possible and also push women's rights, so in essence I'd be doing a good thing by buying their products.

What else do I need? Bicycle repair stuff is simple, there are so many local bike shops. There is a market every Thursday to get food and there are many local stores in Exeter.

It's decided. Watch this space for any conundrums that may come up! I feel like a regular Danny Wallace/Dave Gorman, wonder if I'll be asked to release a book at the end, I think not!

1 comment:

  1. Body Shop aren't always so great if you look into them :(

    However: Have a look on Etsy - there are some *wonderful* handmade mineral cosmetics on there. Totally stunning, amazing colours, and also - way better for yous skin!

    Lissa x

    ReplyDelete