Monday 10 January 2011

Day 5: The Body Shop and Sustainable Palm Oil



Ok, so I mentioned to a few friends about only shopping for cosmetics in The Body Shop as they are the most ethical company I know of and they informed me of the palm oil situation.

Apparently The Body Shop WERE using palm oil from an unsustainable source, cutting down swathes of the Amazon rainforest and clearing the habitat of Orangutangs and others species. The Body Shop were buying palm oil from a company out in South America so I like to think that they didn't know what they were doing, however The Body Shop should be aware of  how and where everything is being sourced to make their products. They should do their research and make sure it's as ethical as they stand to be.

The Body Shop have joined the Executive Board of the Roundtable on Sustainable Palm Oil and are pledging to help local workers, communities and animals affected by the production of palm oil.

Here's a link to The Body Shops Foundation site http://thebodyshopfoundation.org/ and The Body Shop Activist http://blog.thebodyshop.com.au/2009/08/dont-palm-us-off.html

So I can now buy from them but it was a bit of a scare! Who else could I use for my beauty products?

No comments:

Post a Comment