Friday 14 January 2011

Finally Something Fun! although dangerous, but fun!




Okay so I got very bored of buying food and so I went to the Body Shop to treat myself. I needed some new foundation and quite fancied a bronzer in these dark cold times.

After leaving the shop with a fleeting feeling of warmth that only consumerism can bring, I discovered in the ingredients list the words parabens. hmm. Not just one type, 4 types in the foundation and 3 in the bronzer. Not good, especially after you read this article from the New Scientist about Parabens and breast cancer


"Preservative chemicals found in samples of breast tumours probably came from underarm deodorants, UK scientists have claimed.

Their analysis of 20 breast tumours found high concentrations of para-hydroxybenzoic acids (parabens) in 18 samples. Parabens can mimic the hormone estrogen, which is known to play a role in the development of breast cancers. The preservatives are used in many cosmetics and some foods to increase their shelf-life..."  http://tiny.cc/x2vyl.


So the next time I  buy something cosmetic I am going to take much greater care to buy paraben free. Aveda looks good and advice from the paraben free princess blogspot is very useful although based on products in America http://parabenfreeprincess.blogspot.com/.

If you have any information please don't hesitate to contact me, it's an issue that people don't generally know about so awareness is always good.

No comments:

Post a Comment